According to a press release from the City of Fort Atkinson, the Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week from October 9-15.
This year’s FPW campaign, “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape”, works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe from home fires.
The Fort Atkinson Fire Department wants to share these key home fire escape planning tips:
• Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with
sensory or physical disabilities.
• Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate
sleeping area, and on every level of the home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected
so when one sounds, they all sound.
• Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows
• Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should
• Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household,
including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
To find out more about the Fort Atkinson Fire Department call 920-397-9908. For more general information about Fire Prevention Week and fire prevention in general, visit fpw.org and sparky.org. For more information about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, go to