Whitewater Gas Leak Forces Evacuations
Whitewater firefighters responded to a significant gas leak on Tuesday night. According to a Facebook post from the department, just after 5:10 PM firefighters were dispatched to the area of Starin Road and Tratt Street, where they found a cable crew laying down a fiber optic cable. The crew hit a gas line and the line was venting from the west. Officials shut down Tratt Street in both directions and evacuated nearby residents, who were taken to the University to shelter. WE Energies arrived on scene and immediately asked for additional manpower, however the nearest crew was coming from Milwaukee, and would have an extended arrival time. After about 3 hours, fire crews cleared the scene. A service line was struck to a residence, and WE Energies had to shut off the gas. In addition to Whitewater Fire and Police, UW-Whitewater Police also responded, and Lauderdale-La Grange Fire took a call for Whitewater while the department was deployed on the leak.